Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book Review ~ "Princess of Glass" by Jessica Day George

Princess of Glass (Princess #2)Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Source: I Purchased this Book
Genre: Fairy-Tale retelling

Book Description:  Hoping to escape the troubles in her kingdom, Princess Poppy reluctantly agrees to take part in a royal exchange program, whereby young princes and princesses travel to each other's countries in the name of better political alliances--and potential marriages. It's got the makings of a fairy tale--until a hapless servant named Eleanor is tricked by a vengeful fairy godmother into competing with Poppy for the eligible prince. Ballgowns, cinders, and enchanted glass slippers fly in this romantic and action-packed happily-ever-after quest from an author with a flair for embroidering tales in her own delightful way.

My thoughts:  I think this is my favorite book in the Princess series. Jessica Day George has combined a retelling with a princess from The Twelve Dancing Princesses with Cinderella.

I loved getting to know Princess Poppy. She prefers playing cards and inappropriate language to dancing. She is a rough around the edges princess and pretty much tells it like she sees it. She is working on her manners though.

Prince Christian doesn't realize his appeal, which in my opinion makes him more appealing. He is visiting a neighboring kingdom, where he makes friends quickly and meets Poppy. They become friends quickly and work together to deal with a wicked sorceress.

The rest of the characters are fun to read about and add to the story.

This is a second book. I read the first quite a while ago and didn't remember all of the details. I was able to pick up with the characters and follow along with the story.

I read this book as part of the Just for Fun challenge for May!





1 comment:

  1. I love reading retellings of fairy tales. I have the first two of this series, but haven't read them yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll eventually get around to reading them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.